Who knew that chairs were so punny?
For some people, it’s climbing Mt. Everest. For others, it’s swimming the English Channel. For me, it’s…reupholstering a chair. As lame as it sounds, tackling a project like this was totally on my bucket list. It’s one of those things that I knew I could figure out, but was pretty intimidated by. When we found this pair of club chairs (from a local fancy-schmancy inn that was redecorating) for a total of $75, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to try out some upholstery. At around $38 apiece, I at least had the reassurance that our budget wasn’t totally blown if I failed miserably. Once I worked up the courage to get going, the demolition began:
Our bedroom, where I initially planned for the chairs to go, is seriously lacking in pattern, so I chose Waverly’s Nassau Vine fabric in Onyx. The black and white colorway fits in perfectly with our furniture and bedding, but will also work with many other color schemes should we choose to switch things around. I’m normally not a huge fan of buying fabric at big stores like JoAnn’s, but for this particular project, I liked the idea of having the fabric readily available should I mess up horribly and need to buy more.
As far as tutorials go, I found Design Intervention’sposts to be incredibly helpful.Charis does a great job of documenting each step and explaining the details. That being said, every chair is different, so there were (and probably always will be) some parts that were a little bit different on my chairs. On those parts, I was surprised to discover that upholstery is really pretty intuitive. If it looks like fabric is supposed to go a certain way in a certain space, it probably is. When it comes to getting everything to fit, it’s a lot like wrapping a present. With a staple gun.
I love electric staple guns. The end. Mine was borrowed from my dad, and he also had a manual gun stored in the same toolbox. Let me just say that while I’m sure it’s possible, it’s hard for me to imagine not being able to fire little pieces of metal into the wood with just the mere touch of my finger.
Yes, I punked out on the cushions. I totally blame my “it might explode at any minute” sewing machine. I really do think I could’ve done it if it hadn’t been for the fact that my sewing machine is not…sewing. Zach asked if I could sew it by hand. I asked if he would like for me to come out of the craft room before November. If you are disappointed in me and would like for me to prove it to you, send me a new machine and I will happily whip out a cushion cover.
Machine frustrations aside, I was thrilled with the work of AFC Upholstery. They had the best prices of all the places I called, great customer service, and finished both covers in 24 hours. Not to mention the fact that the owner’s father helped give us a jump when our car battery died. Yep, the sewing machine isn’t the only thing around here that’s malfunctioning. Did I mention that our air conditioning has also been out for the past few weeks? Did I mention it’s been over 100? Sheesh.
Oh, what’s that you say? Quit whining and show you some pictures? Good idea.
You may notice that this isn’t our master bedroom. As I was working on the chairs in front of the TV (it’s much less monotonous to rip out staples while watching Friday Night Lights), we noticed that they went pretty well with the colors of our family room. After recently getting a new sectional, we had talked about wanting a chair for an alternate seating option. Thankfully, the other chair was the perfect fit in our master. I didn’t get to take pictures of chair #2 yet, but I’ll hopefully get some posted tomorrow.
All in all, I’m really happy with how they turned out. They may not be perfect, but it’s such a great sense of accomplishment knowing that I tackled something that was once so intimidating. Also, now that the fear factor is gone, I love the fresh perspective I have on the potential behind old, ugly furniture!