Well, hello August.
Is it just me, or did this summer fly by faster than any summer before in the history of time? We started teacher workdays this week, and kids will be joining us on Wednesday. Where did June and July go?
Since I’ve bombarded you with trip recaps recently, today I thought I would share an easy how-to for an organization challenge a friend and I recently tackled.
She has two very sweet, very girly girls, and with girly girls come adorable, girly hairbows. Lots of them. While keeping them in a bathroom drawer was working, she was looking for a way to display them that would be both stylish and functional. Most of what she found looked like this:
Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not knocking the tutu. I think we all know that I love a good tutu. But, since we both lean toward more of a kid-friendly, but grown-up aesthetic, the ballerina motif didn’t really mesh with the vision. After we gave it some thought, I suggested a modification on my beloved chalkboard frame revamp. Here’s what we came up with:
I found this frame at a yard sale for $1 (such a great place to find frames and other things that just need a little spraypaint love), and, while I wasn’t a fan of the glued-on ocean print, I was a fan of the fun detail on the frame itself.
While I didn’t really mind the color of the frame, it didn’t exactly say “little girl”. Thankfully, a couple of coats of high-gloss Rustoleum later, that problem was solved.
(One note: I’ve found that with the frames I’ve done, the white paint can highlight hairline cracks that were masked with the darker paint. There’s always the option of filling them, but we didn’t mind them since they meshed with the vintage look of the frame.
I saved the cardboard piece that the picture was glued to to use as the backing of the bow holder. To give it a little extra fluff and cushion, I first stapled on a layer of batting.
Next, I stapled on the fabric. I happened to have this left over from a planned chair reupholstery in the former craft room, and we were so excited to discover that it fit right in with the rest of the style of the house!
After the fabric, I secured three grosgrain ribbons to attach the bows to. I lined up the first one with the center of the board, then found the center of each of the side sections to find the spots for the other two ribbons.
The final result is a place where two stylish little ladies can have easy access to their favorite hairclips and bows.